Breakfast Included: A Series


A Series of Photos and Reviews of Free Breakfasts at Hostels and Guest Houses 

Backpacker Hostel Negombo
 Rating: 6/10 
-Traditional Sri Lankan Breakfast 
-Very tasty 
-Very Spicy 
-Maybe too spicy for the morning 
-Felt like one big family at this place <3 

 

Steps Backpackers Colombo
Rating: 3/10 
- Strawberry jam was as artificial as scented lip balm - as you can see one munch was enough
-Bread itself was strangely sweet and dry
- Omelette was a nice touch but unbearably salty so needed to sip water after every mouthful 
- What are cucumbers doing here? 
P.S Sorry I took this photo after I was done

Hanthana Jungle View Guest House in Kandy 


Rating: 8/10        
- ALL FOR ME?!?! + instant 5 points
-On the left is traditional Sri Lankan bread with a coconut and pea curry. The bread was beautifully squidgy I think with coconut in too. 
- On the right is sweet pancakes, gingerbread cake, watermelon, yoghurt and pineapple and a whole plate of bananas (!!) 


The Start of the Homestay:
So this breakfast is slightly different because I was very kindly welcomed into the home of a Sri Lankan family while I volunteer as an English Teacher in the village. I have to stress that a rice based meal is eaten every meal, of every day, with slight variations on the vegetable curry. 

Hingurukuduwa Homestay
Rating: 2/10 - as the rice is perfectly cooked and a fun shade of pink. On the right hand side is spicy anchovies (sorry no) and the left hand side is spicy yellow bean things. I am still unsure why spicy food is eaten in the morning....but it has been an interesting and humbling experience to see how the locals eat and live. My score might be tainted by the fact I have now had this meal 22 times in a week. 

Ella 9 Arch Miracle 
Rating: 7/10 - This was the first breakfast on my two day holiday after a week of curry. The papaya and pineapple were amazing, sadly I am sick to death of frikkin bananas! The watermelon looked dry so left that, the pancakes were great too with coconut sugar syrup YUM. The tea was served in my own teapot which was cute but wish it was coffee tbh. Feeling grateful for different food so overall a very good start to the day!! 













Comments

Popular Posts